Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Counting My Blessings

Have you ever had a day where something happened that really made you stop and consider how gracious God is to you? Tuesday was one of those days for me. Monday night James woke up crying with a bloody nose, saying that he'd fallen out of bed. We cleaned him up and got him settled back down and didn't give it another thought, until Tuesday morning when he woke up looking like this:

His telling of what happened is not the clearest, so the best that we can figure is that he was standing in the bed looking out of the window, and he either had the cord to the blinds wrapped around his neck, or he grabbed for it when he lost his balance, and as he fell it made a ragged cut from the middle of his throat to the back of his head. You can imagine the sick feeling I got in the pit of my stomach when I realized how much worse it could have turned out. Now every time I hug him, I squeeze a little bit tighter, and I tell him more often how much I love him. It's so easy to take God's blessings for granted, but that mark on my James's neck is a vivid reminder that each breath we take is a gift from Him.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Oh, honey, we are thanking God with you. Give that boy an extra squeeze from us and tell him we love him!!

janedoe said...

wow, what a shock to discover. things happen and as you say, sometimes you don't give it any thought, but when you take another look at what may have been, it's very scary indeed and I hope your little one is okay now. Give him a big hug from me!